Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hall family Research - Middle Tennessee

The purpose of this blog is to share and collaborate on Hall family research, particularly those Halls who lived in the middle Tennessee area.  In my research, I have determined there is a wide-ranging group of potentially interrelated Hall family members in middle Tennessee in the early 19th century.  I would like to share what I have found with others and collaborate with others on the possibilities for the origins and relationships among the Halls of middle Tennessee. 

Please post record transcriptions or speculations (clearly labeled as such) on this blog. 

My particular line is from Claiborne Hall, who was born about 1788 in Virginia.  He is in Smith County, Tennessee by 1809 and married Elizabeth Herod, daughter of Revolutionary veteran William Herod.  Oral tradition indicates that Claiborne Hall had a brother named Nathan who married Frances Herod, sister of Elizabeth.  Indeed Claiborne and Nathan are found together in "lost" letters left in the post office at Carthage in the years from 1809 - 1813.   Circumstantial evidence leads me to believe they are the sons of one Thomas Hall who is first found in Smith Co. in 1813 and is last found there in the 1820 census.  I will discuss this evidence in a later post. 

I have searched for many years for the origins of this Thomas Hall.  He was apparently in Georgia about 1805 - 1807 - a possible daughter's birthplace as given in later census records.  I now believe it is very likely that this Thomas Hall was found in Montgomery County, Virginia and Washington County, Tennessee in the 1780s and 1790s.

I believe this branch of Halls MAY have connections to the following locations:

Tennessee - Sumner County, Smith County, Robertson County, Montgomery County, Rutherford County, Wilson County, Bedford County

Kentucky - Wayne County, Pulaski County

Indiana - Jefferson County, Warrick County

Illinois - Pope County, Massac County

Alabama - Jackson County

I will be posting more later beginning with information on Claiborne and Nathan Hall. 

1 comment:

  1. I am looking for a Polly Camp who was wife to a Mr. Hall. She is listed in her mother's will (Sarah Camp) along with her children Evalina Hall and Melvina Hall. Sarah Camp lived in Sumner TN. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete